[K12OSN] depmod in chroot?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Sep 8 13:58:19 UTC 2011

I have an x86_64 server with i686 clients.  I run the chroot inside
linux32 which does the trick for most things architecture related.

However, I tried compiling and installing a chroot kernel module and had
problems.  Looks like autoconfig uses `uname -r` in a number of places
and and of course that is the one place that still references x86_64.  I
was able to manually hack the Makefile and got the module compiled.
However, the install process runs depmod -a and it is still looking for
an x86_64 folder which of course does not exist.

Any ideas how to get an i686 chroot kernel module installed on an x86_64
server?