[K12OSN] Poor performance woes

Jomegat jomegat at jomegat.com
Tue Sep 20 20:23:02 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 04:12 PM, David Hopkins wrote:
> So, runs fine at server console, but lags severely at the thin client
> with the same account.  Are you certain that the clients are running at
> 100Mb full duplex?  If you've enabled a shell at the client can you
> check to see what ifconfig reports at the client?  I would check
> memory/performance at the client with top (in a shell, add
> SCREEN_02=shell in lts.conf, ctl-alt-f2 to access it at the client)
> while the page is being displayed from the GUI login session just to
> convince myself it isn't a load issue at the client.

I will double check, but since I was seeing 12MiB/sec - which is pretty
close to 100 Mbits/sec, I'm thinking they are running at 100.  Also, the
LEDs on the switch say 100, and not 10.

> Also, Adobe has a 64bit Flash for linux (v11) available as beta. I've
> been running that for the last couple of weeks (since it was released
> IOW) on my systems (Ubuntu 10.04 with LTSP packages added).
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html It definitely runs
> better than the 32bit flash with nswrapper.  Installation was just a
> matter of  uninstalling the 32bit flash and copying the 64bit version to
> the correct plugins directory.

Yes, I'm using the 64-bit Flash, and not the nswrapper version.
Further, I can't find any flash content in the page he's loading, just a
truckload of javascript.

> Those are the things that I'd check first.

Thanks.