[K12OSN] Poor performance woes

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:41:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Carl Keil <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:

>> <snip>Could you scare up the resources to put another
>> NIC in the server and have a few "higher-powered" thin clients that have
>> more ram, dedicated Gig-E to the new NIC on the server and better video
>> cards, for the kids whose parents are on the school board?<snip>  That's not
>> a bad idea.  I do have a spare PC that's at least five years
>> newer than my TC's.  I should try one.
>
> I was thinking, from the discussion, that your bottleneck is probably
> ethernet speed, video card or RAM on the client.  By "higher powered" I just
> meant improved in those areas.  Might not even need full-on new systems,
> aside from the local apps angle.

And to approach the problem from a slightly different angle, you might
try using freenx on the server with the NX client on the client as a
local app (maybe test with a windows laptop first to see if it looks
promising).   That is very similar to normal thin-client operation in
that the desktop session is running on the server but the
proxy/caching/compression layers might cover up your bottleneck.
Having freenx installed shouldn't interfere with normal ltsp use and
it also permits easy access without rebooting from windows/mac
clients.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com