[K12OSN] Frustration with RHEL6.1 (Jim Kinney)

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Sep 5 19:00:06 UTC 2011

Maybe my experience has nothing to do with your problem, but I had very,
very similar yum symptoms after my recent install of Centos 5.6.  It
turned out that my router, for some reason, wasn't routing to my
server.  I think it was because I was using the same server, and IP
address as the old install, but I swapped out a different NIC.  (I was
getting back on my feet after the death of my boot drive.)  My theory is
that somehow the gateway to the internet was remembering the old MAC
address and not simply relaying things to the old IP.   As soon as I
undid the port forwarding on the router and reset it, everything was
like the good old days of 2009, not 2000.  I know what you mean, I had
that exact same thought during my ordeal.  It was a really bad,
frustrating flashback.  Both the feeling that Linux wasn't "mature" and
that I didn't know crap about how to use it.  In the end, it had nothing
to do with Linux.

Try starting a yum updating and then running "netstat" (I'm pretty sure
that's what it was?)  Or the gui "System Monitor".  Those seemed to
throw my NIC into "promiscuous" mode and all of a sudden things would
download.

Could any of that be relevant to your situation?  Have you
rebooted/reset all the network equipment between your server and the world?

HTH

ck