[K12OSN] Frustration with RHEL6.1 (Jim Kinney)

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 5 23:39:05 UTC 2011

We'll see. My gut feeling is that Gavin is right, and that it's because I didn't
register
my Red Hat license yet. Which I would have done during the install. Which I
couldn't do right
away because RedHat isn't recognizing my password, which did work a week ago, and
the automated 'lost password' mechanism isn't responding to me, and this being Labor
Day weekend, neither, so far, has customer service.

I will make a point of posting when I get this sorted out for others to benefit.
But in particular, the observation that yum simply refused to acknowledge
that there was anything to update on a new install sounds seems compatible
with the presumption that if you don't register, updates are blocked. I should
be able to test that as soon as I get a working Red Hat password.

Carl Keil wrote:
> Maybe my experience has nothing to do with your problem, but I had very, very
> similar yum symptoms after my recent install of Centos 5.6.  It turned out
> that my router, for some reason, wasn't routing to my server.  I think it was
> because I was using the same server, and IP address as the old install, but I
> swapped out a different NIC.  (I was getting back on my feet after the death
> of my boot drive.)  My theory is that somehow the gateway to the internet was
> remembering the old MAC address and not simply relaying things to the old
> IP.   As soon as I undid the port forwarding on the router and reset it,
> everything was like the good old days of 2009, not 2000.  I know what you
> mean, I had that exact same thought during my ordeal.  It was a really bad,
> frustrating flashback.  Both the feeling that Linux wasn't "mature" and that I
> didn't know crap about how to use it.  In the end, it had nothing to do with
> Linux.
>
> Try starting a yum updating and then running "netstat" (I'm pretty sure that's
> what it was?)  Or the gui "System Monitor".  Those seemed to throw my NIC into
> "promiscuous" mode and all of a sudden things would download.
>
> Could any of that be relevant to your situation?  Have you rebooted/reset all
> the network equipment between your server and the world?
>
> HTH
>
> ck

Brian Fristensky
971 Somerville Avenue