[K12OSN] drm i915_hangcheck_elapsed on client

Justin Lunning jlunning at new.org
Mon Sep 12 16:40:21 UTC 2011

Hi Roland,

I've seen a similar message too many times to count.  I don't use RHEL,
but have seen it a lot with Ubuntu/Debian LTSP setups that we deploy.
There are bugs in the Linux Intel Graphics driver that cause this.
There are a number of adjustments you can make to try and remedy this,
including upgrading/downgrading both the kernel and the intel graphics
driver and adjusting acceleration options in custom xorg.conf files for
your thin client, but it's a mixed bag.  You basically just have to try
different combinations of adjustments until you find something that
works.  Different techniques seem to have different mileage on different
hardware.  It can be very time consuming.  If you google the error
message you'll find a lot of info about.

Justin Lunning
npServ Director
NEW (Nonprofit Enterprise at Work)
jlunning at new.org / www.new.org
(734) 998-0160 x 212 (Ann Arbor)
(313) 887-7788 x 212 (Detroit)
Ann Arbor: The NEW Center, 1100 N. Main Street
Detroit: Hannan House, 4750 Woodward Ave
HELPING NONPROFITS SUCCEED