[K12OSN] Poor performance woes

Jomegat jomegat at jomegat.com
Tue Sep 20 19:18:08 UTC 2011

I have a K12Linux setup based on EL6-64.  The TC's are ancient i686's
with 256M RAM and 10/100 nics.  The TS has a gigE NIC, and between the
TS & TCs is a managed switch with 2 gigE ports and 24 10/100 ports.  The
TS is connected via one of the gigE's.

We have a student who is having real performance problems when he loads
a page.  I went in today to be there while he was experiencing woe, and
ran the system monitor applet.

When he loads the web page - with no flash in it that I can find - the
network maxes out at 12MiB/sec, and it takes an eternity for the page to
load.  He reports that sometimes this particular page will cause the TC
to crash (black screen with text followed by login screen), but he was
not able to reproduce that while I was there.  I suspect there is some
user error involved in the crash scenario, but it will be difficult to
prove.

I had tried running firefox as a local app last month, but the school
needs flash, and it requires 512M.  Performance on these TC's was
substantially worse when running FF as a local app, so I backed off of that.

The page he was trying to load is password protected, but I had him
ctrl-U while he had it open, and save the source to a file which I can
share if need be.  It is filled with javascript, but I'm not sure that's
the culprit (though it seems the most likely suspect).  I found no .flv,
FLV, .swf, or .SWF in the file anywhere.

As an experiment, I connected a monitor, keybd, and mouse directly to
the server and had him login there.  The page loads just fine that way.
  That might be a possible solution, but for some reason, the display is
incredibly blurry.  If I make that permanent, I'd have to run some cable
through the wall (they're pinched in the door right now, and barely reach).

Before they called me in to look at this, he had been bringing his mom's
laptop to school so he could do his work (it's an online course).  If it
crashes while he is taking a quiz, he loses a test attempt or gets a bad
grade, so this has to be reliable.

His mom is on the school board, and she is pushing the school to abandon
LTSP in favor of a Windows solution.  They think that if they install
some flavor of windows on the TC's they will get better performance, but
I believe they won't, as flash will need 512M no matter the OS.  I think
they will need all new PC's if they go that route.

I am on the cusp of losing my network to Windows, at which point I will
resign my post as unpaid volunteer sysadmin, so if I sound a little
desperate, now you know why.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present -
Hobbes