Re: [K12OSN] Poor performance woes

On 09/20/2011 07:00 PM, Jomegat wrote:
I think I need to do that pretty soon. Anyone know what I have to do to
my server to make it forward network access? That way I wouldn't have to
move any cables.

If you just want a temporary (ie: until the next reboot) routing between NICs you can just run:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

as root.

That sounds like a good plan. The other thing they must understand is
that they will lose a free sysadmin. I would not run a Windows network
for money, much less for free. As a result, I have next to no Windows
admin skills. My fear is that with grade-school aged kids surfing the
web on a Windows machine, the network will be chock-full-o-malware in
under a month. Then they get to hire someone to do janitorial work at an
hourly rate.

Yup. I volunteer running an LTSP server for a non-profit. Most people are on thin clients but a few special cases still run Windoze fat clients. They pay someone else for their Windoze support so they are very aware how unreliable and expensive the Windoze systems are. They have had no unplanned outages on the terminal server in the 2-1/2 years it has been running.

Jeff