[K12OSN] Poor performance woes

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Sep 20 23:42:49 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 07:00 PM, Jomegat wrote:
> I think I need to do that pretty soon. Anyone know what I have to do to
> my server to make it forward network access? That way I wouldn't have to
> move any cables.

If you just want a temporary (ie: until the next reboot) routing between
NICs you can just run:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

as root.

> That sounds like a good plan. The other thing they must understand is
> that they will lose a free sysadmin. I would not run a Windows network
> for money, much less for free. As a result, I have next to no Windows
> admin skills. My fear is that with grade-school aged kids surfing the
> web on a Windows machine, the network will be chock-full-o-malware in
> under a month. Then they get to hire someone to do janitorial work at an
> hourly rate.

Yup.  I volunteer running an LTSP server for a non-profit.  Most people
are on thin clients but a few special cases still run Windoze fat
clients.  They pay someone else for their Windoze support so they are
very aware how unreliable and expensive the Windoze systems are.  They
have had no unplanned outages on the terminal server in the 2-1/2 years
it has been running.

Jeff