Re: [K12OSN] Poor performance woes

Jomegat wrote:
2. Fire up one of those clients as a Windoze machine and load a flash
page to show that Windows on your clients is a non-option.

I think I need to do that pretty soon. Anyone know what I have to do to my server to make it forward network access? That way I wouldn't have to move any cables.

From a wiki page I wrote for myself a few years ago.  It may be a bit dated.

"Enabling fat clients to work on the thin client segment
K12LTSP has this enabled by default; K12Linux does not. To enable it:

    * echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    * edit /etc/sysctl.conf to make that permanent
    * iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
    * iptables-save
    * service dnsmasq start

The first two turn on forwarding, which is the primary requirement. The next two tell iptables to allow port forwarding; if iptables is turned off, they are unnecessary. The last one is to provide a DNS service to the fat client. Remember that thin client's apps are running on the server so they use the DNS server listed in /etc/resolv.conf. On the TC segment, however, dhcpd.conf tells clients that the nameserver is the LTSP server, meaning there needs to be a nameserver running on the LTSP server. That's what dnsmasq does. Or you can give out the address of a different DNS server via dhcpd.conf."

HTH

Peter