[K12OSN] ltspbr0 & ethx packet descripincy

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Thu Dec 27 19:04:53 UTC 2012

Hello All,

CentOS - 6.3  32-bit
SL   -  6.0
ltsp 5.0

I was just looking at Wireshark,,,for a while today on one of the
k12linux  / ltsp5 servers. With Wireshark open and not doing any actual
'capturing',  when I click on the far left icon on the toolbar of
Wireshark,which shows you the available interface capture devices.
You can see the packets going in & out of each interface.

When looking at ltspbr0 & eth0 ( which are the bridged interfaces),,,the
ltspbr0 interface shows several less incoming and outgoing packets,,,in
just a short amount of time.
As dumb as I am I would naturally think the two bridged interfaces
should be showing identical packet count.

Has anyone else on board here ever seen this,,or maybe have never
stumbled across this ? I never really calculated in a percentage,but I
can not help but think,this is hampering network throughput to some
degree or another.
I do not want to spend a bunch of time,,trying to over anaylize this but
just was curious if anyone else may be seeing the same behaviour?

Thanks,
Barry