[K12OSN] tftp respawning

Josh Malone jmalone at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 10 14:12:10 UTC 2012

On 09.02.2012 18:39, Barry R Cisna wrote:

> When I start the virtual pxeclient it gets an ip address and stalls
> out
> at loading pxe.
> When running 'tail -f /var/log/messages ' I continually see "Starting
> tftp" followed by "tftp exiting" (with another pid #,incremented up)
> about every 10 secs. This will continue until I power down the
> virtual
> pxeclient,then the message quits.
> Anyone have any ideas?

I think that what you are seeing in the logs is the normal result of
tftp being spawned by xinetd each time the virtual pxe-client attempts
to download its files. You may need to increase the verbosity of your
logs (add '-v' to server_args in xinetd's tftp config) to find out what
it's trying to download and why it's not succeeding.

Trying from a hardware (non-virtual) PXE client may yield better
results.

-Josh

        Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
      (jmalone at nrao.edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
         434-296-0263           www.nrao.edu
         434-249-5699 (mobile)

BOFH excuse #364: Sand fleas eating the Internet cables