[K12OSN] Recommendations for gigabit switches?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:02:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 12:20 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> yeah.... The price difference between switch install and never touch
>> again and switch install plus replace every so often is about the cost
>> of diagnostic time for a single outage from a failed switch.
>>

> That all depends on how much diagnostic time costs.  I volunteer so that
> comes pretty cheap!

well.... Every minute you spend fixing broken stuff is a minute lost from
adding new hotness  :-)

>  A 24 port Gig switch with management that costs less than $1k is a
>> pretty low end pile of hardware. Yes, it can push 1000Mbps but not
>> across all ports at the same time 5days a week for 8 hours a day.
>>

> Agreed, and I have never pushed a gig through every port of any cheap
> switch.  I would argue if that is what you are trying to do you already
> have the wrong box and should have installed 10 GE.

server w/ x4 1Gb nics bonded -> 24 port switch w/ each port to a classroom
(20) -> 1Gb uplink port in classroom switch with 10-12 clients plus teacher
and printer

I pushed a few bits down the pipe :-)

>  I'm not a Cisco fan as their price far exceeds their value.
>>

> Agree there.  Consider Avaya stuff, like the 4524GT.  True enterprise
> grade stuff, better efficiency, non-blocking, 10 GE support, stackable,
> lifetime warranty.
>
> Jeff

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky