[K12OSN] SL 6 no cmov support in kernel

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Feb 22 20:42:12 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 07:19 AM, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Just wanted to report this somewhat unknown non-available feature in
> default kernel in SL6. When trying to boot the Ebox 2300 TC's we have we
> receive this when PXE starts to run on the TC and then stops.
> "This kernel requires the following features not present on the cpu.
> cmov".

Actually it is the other way around.  The i686 kernel uses the cmov
instruction which the the CPU doesn't have.  This means your CPU
probably isn't at least a i686 (ex: old Via Samuel cores etc.)

Old distributions that have old i386 or possibly i586 kernels are
probably your best bet if you need to support the hardware.

Jeff