[K12OSN] Recommendations for gigabit switches?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Feb 28 14:23:22 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 12:18 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Don't go cheap on the high port count portions. Netgear looks great but
> tends to buckle under load. Cisco is solid but $$$$$$$$$! ouch!

I used Netgear ProSafe smart switches, not because they are great but
because they are cheap and they stand behind them with a lifetime
warranty.  Good thing too because I have RMA'd a few of them!

Bottom line is you won't likely find a better 24 port gig smart switch
for ~$200, or a better 24 port PoE smart switch (12 PoE ports) for ~$250.

Be aware they don't have a CLI but the web interface is OK for
infrequent use.

I have a GE connected servers, some GE clients and a bunch of FE clients
and never had any performance issues.

I am not saying you should buy Netgear, just that there is at least one
person out there that has used them successfully in an LTSP environment.

Jeff