[K12OSN] Recommendations for gigabit switches?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:12:09 UTC 2012

Hello,
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> server w/ x4 1Gb nics bonded -> 24 port switch w/ each port to a classroom
> (20) -> 1Gb uplink port in classroom switch with 10-12 clients plus teacher
> and printer

So this is a very similar setup we have, except that every network
jack in each classroom has been "run home" back to the network room so
there's no need for the switches in each classroom.

In your example, is the switch a managed or unmanaged switch? I guess
this is where I'm stuck.  It appears to me in that case you described,
there is not a need for a managed switch.  Or am I missing something?

Thank you
Joseph