[K12OSN] Silverlight?

Peter Scheie peter at peterscheie.com
Sat Mar 17 12:49:33 UTC 2012

Whenever you get one of these kind of requests, respond enthusiastically
with a "Yes, I'll look into that", so people know you're on their side.
In this case, scope out the price of putting up a Windows terminal
server (LTSP can do RDP), multiply that times however many servers
you'll need (last I checked, WTS could only handle about 10 simultaneous
sessions), plus the cost of the CAL licenses.  It will quickly add up.
Then you can say to the powers-that-be, "Yes, we could do that, but
we'll have to cut a teacher or a few aides to pay for it, because
proprietary software is always going to be expensive, sooner or later.
Remember, MS is a *business* which means they are first & foremost
interested in making money and that money comes from you.  Linux & FOSS
are about enabling people to do things; money usually isn't the
concern."  Then, if you've found an alternative that works on Linux, you
can say so, and hopefully they'll be more receptive.

Peter