[K12OSN] iptables guru's

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Mar 3 18:20:48 UTC 2012

Hello All,

Can anyone give me some pointers on an iptables setup?

Doing an site-to-site IPsec vpn from Openswan/local site  to racoon/
remote site.
The vpn connects ,& I can ping from remote site to my local site.
With iptables running on local machine I can NOT ping to remote site.
If I shut off iptables on local machine I can ping and browse remote
site fine.
Only existing iptables rules are MASQ on eth1 out.
This is a two nic machine.

local subnet     192.168.0.0/24
remote subnet    192.168.1.0/24
local public ip  1.2.3.4
remote public ip 4.5.6.7

With iptables running when I ping 192.168.1.1 remote gateway I get a no
response from local public nic ip address.
It seems I need yet another forwarding rule
I did make an static route from local gateway/internal,to remote network
to make pinging work with firewall off.
I know this type of thing is very tricky without being in front of the
machine.

Thank You,
Barry