[K12OSN] SOLVED: No root device found, boot has failed, sleeping forever

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Nov 21 17:26:20 UTC 2012

I discovered through much head scratching that network boot failures
resulting in "no root device found" can be caused due to a missing /proc
directory in the client image.

This happened to me when I restored a client image backup, but because
my backup script excludes /proc it was missing altogether in the
restored image.  Unfortunately this causes dracut to throw up the
significantly incorrect "no root device found" message, even if the root
filesystem is successfully mounted.

Jeff