[K12OSN] Anyone get Fedora 16 chroot working?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Oct 3 02:45:14 UTC 2012

I mucked with the /etc/sysconfig/ltspdist to allow F16 then ran
ltsp-build-client.

The good news is the client appeared to build (got success message at
the end despite some warnings along the way).

The bad news is that the chroot wasn't really functional.

I started by moving it to a suitable place (/opt/ltsp/i386-f16) and ran
ltsp-update-kernels but no joy.

First it complained about no pxelinux.0.  Sure enough, nothing in the
tftp directory.  So I just copied the pxelinux* files from the EL6
chroot i386 directory and that got things further.

The next problem was a kernel panic due to dracut not knowing what to do
with "root=dhcp".  Hmmmmm... so I ran chroot in /opt/ltsp/i386-f16 and
then ran ltsp-rewrap-latest-kernel and got an error about missing dhclient.

So I checked and sure enough no dhclient.  That can't be right.  So I
installed it and re-ran ltsp-rewrap-latest-kernel.  This time I only got
some errors about "grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory".
Fair enough.

So I re-ran ltsp-update-kernels but still no joy.  This time the boot
process hung for about 20 seconds and returned with "dracut Warning:
unable to process initqueue" and then dropped into a shell.

I am doing all this to try to get a working eGalax touchscreen which is
borked in EL6 but worked fine in Fedora as far back as version 14.
Sigh.  Anyone have any tips for getting a F16 client (or an eGalax
touchscreen) working on a EL6 server?

Thanks,

Jeff