[K12OSN] RAID 1 anomaly

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 21:38:10 UTC 2012

You will need to intialize the drive into the hardware raid array.
They are all different but basically you need to mark the old drive as
bad, remove it, and let this be the replacement.

hardware raid of the win2k era (error?) is mostly braindead so you may
be out of luck. As most schools don't have backups for anything but
the stuff used by the top-most brass, restore is unlikely.

I fell in love with software raid when a controller card died and the
new card auto-initialized the array drives thus dumping everything. I
use software raid as a backup tool for the hard drive - one drive in a
2 (or 3) drive RAID 1 is a removable. I turn it down, pop it out and
swap in the next drive. A few hours later I have a full backup.