[K12OSN] kwin crashing

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Apr 4 01:34:49 UTC 2013

Recently I have been getting "Kwin is unstable it seems to have crashed
several times in a row." when logging in with session set to KDE, and as
expected no WM.  However, a dialog pops up that offers to try another
window manager, and if you select metacity it does work.

Subsequently running "kwin --replace" results in kwin crashing and no WM
again.  Any ideas what might be causing this and how to get kwin working
again?  There did not appear to be any updates to kde or X installed
recently so I am puzzled.

One perhaps related strange thing is that, regardless of whether
metacity is running or even with no WM at all, clicking the "Desktop"
icon in the systemsettings app causes the app to crash.  This makes me
think it may be related to desktop effects, but it could also be
unlreated.  Removing ~/.kde does not prevent the problem.

System is running SL6.

Thanks,

Jeff