[K12OSN] Any LTSP/Linux ideas?

Hung Phan phanh at canby.k12.or.us
Thu Apr 18 15:53:05 UTC 2013

Hello, Joseph

We implemented LTSP about 6 years ago when our Windows computer lab became too old. At that time, we either have to spend $40,000 for the desktops plus other necessary equipments to monitor and manage the lab. At the end, we decided to go with LTSP because we can reuse the workstations. We bought two Dell PowerEdge 1950 and have 50 clients boot from them.

Benefits:
1. Cost: we spend $10,000 vs ~$50,000
2. Simplified management: one central point to manage user accounts and profiles. Our environment is mostly Mac so the Windows systems were managed manually. This is a great advantage for us. In your case, it going to depend on how comfortable the admin will be in switching to Linux and whether the place already has a system in place to manage Windows systems.
3. Less repair and support: the majority of the work is from the servers, less demand on the workstations. So less breakdown.
4. Replacement: a lot easier to get old donated equipments vs asking to purchase a brand new system.