[K12OSN] local device

Radek Bursztynowski radek at bursztynowski.waw.pl
Thu Aug 1 10:04:24 UTC 2013

Jeff,

Good question. My experience with local device confirms that local device (including DVD/CD) could by managed by fuse mechanism.

My experience:
My favourite GUI is Xfce. Using Xfce I can see on thin client local USB stick after change the directory to /media/my_username/usb_stick_name, but I don't see DVD/CD device.

When I log in with GNOME I can see both icons on my desktop - USB_stick and DVD/CD, and I can use both local devices.

So it seems that fuse mechanism doesn't support Xfce environment the best. I switched on in Xfce environment "Running GNOME service within log in" option, but nothing helped.

Best regards,
Radek

---

On 07/30/2013 01:16 PM, Radek Bursztynowski wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Many thanks for your explanation. I know it. But the same situation is
> with USB stick - I can mount it locally on local console and see it
> after log in LDM on my redirected server desktop.
>
> I expected similar mechanizm.

Yes, that is true.  fuse is leveraged to do some magic and remotely
mount the client USB stick on the server.

DVD drives aren't quite the same.  Take, for example, an audio CD.  You
can't mount that and export it as a filesystem.

So the question really becomes: does LTSP even look for optical devices
and try to remotely mount them using fuse?   I don't have an answer to
that, but IME LTSP5 does not do this.  That said I haven't tried
connecting a client DVD recently and then setting the group to fuse.
Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Jeff