[K12OSN] Window managers keep crashing?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Aug 15 14:19:12 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 08:53 AM, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Are you using KDE as default desktop?

Yes

> Have you tried changing to Gnome to see if you get same results?

No, not recently.  Last time I tried it it worked fine, but I did not
run it for any length of time so I can't be sure metacity was stable.
If I had to guess I would think metacity would be more stable in gnome
than KDE but there is no particular reason it should be.

> We have 5 SL6/LTSP servers of various update scenarios,,,,and no window
> manager crashing.
>
> This is a standard 32-bit spin of SL6?

No, X86_64 server with 32 bit clients.  I tried reverting the client
image to an old version and the behavior didn't change -- which makes
sense since the window manager runs on the server.

Are the servers you are running also 32 bit?

Also, somewhat related, is it possible to run the window manager on the
client?  I have never really understood how X ties together the various
things running on the server and the client.

Jeff