[K12OSN] Trouble with PXE Boot; Fedora 17

Adrin Gharakhani adrin at applied-scientific.com
Fri Jan 25 01:40:46 UTC 2013

Hello; I'm new to LTSP and generally a novice to Linux.  I installed all LTSP-related packages using Fedora 17's Add/Remove Software (GUI). I then followed the instructions on the k12linux site.

1) Everything on the server side installed "properly", except for step 8: there is no ltsp-server-tweaks on my system. I don't know if this is relevant to my problem or not. Anyway, I'd appreciate a hint as to where I can download and install  ltsp-server-tweaks

2) The client setup step failed because I'm running F17. If there are instructions I can follow to successfully complete the latter, I'd really appreciate the link. (I'm using the workstation only as a server, and I have a fairly powerful diskless thin/zero client, which I just purchased for remote computing purposes)

3) My system is 64-bit (and so is F17). Is there any reason ltsp defaults to 32-bit even though there are x86-64 ltsp directories/files as well?  Is there a way to just stick with x86-64?

4) The main reason for this thread, which I assume/hope is independent of the above three "issues", is the fact that trying to PXE boot via the Virtual Machine fails (so does PXE booting from the diskless client, of course) with the message "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directives found!".  The following are the last few lines before the error message, and googling the latter didn't turn up anything useful for me:

(text in brackets are my comments)

[IP address is assigned]
BOOTIF= [hexadecimal numbers]
SYSUUID= [hexadecimal numbers]
TFTP prefix: /ltsp/i386/
Trying to load:  pxelinux.cfg/default   ok
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directives found!
boot:  [blank space]

The following is the content of the "default" file

prompt 0
 label linux
 kernel vmlinuz.ltsp
 append rw initrd=initrd.ltsp selinux=0 root=dhcp quiet rhgb

The following are the relevant ifcfg files

[root at vortex network-scripts]# more ifcfg-p1p1
UUID="36f1f167-eeef-45ad-9a03-9a1567b985a7"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE="p1p1"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE=Ethernet
DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System p1p1"
HWADDR=10:BF:48:07:6F:6C
BRIDGE=ltspbr0
USERCTL=yes

[root at vortex network-scripts]# more ifcfg-ltspbr0
# Sample Configuration for Initscript Driven Bridge
# Put this into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ltspbr0
#
# Warning: Deleting ifcfg-ltspbr0 alone to disable ltspbr0 will cause you
# problems, because it will come back the next time you upgrade the
# ltsp-server package.
#
# Comment out these two lines to disable ltspbr0.
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=172.31.100.254

DEVICE=ltspbr0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
STP=off
DELAY=0.1
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ARP=yes

Thank you very much, in advance, for helping me get started

adrin