[K12OSN] Ok, so for the *dumb* questions?

me me at todhackett.com
Tue Jan 15 14:30:15 UTC 2013

Hi All

Instead of using the 'login window' I [ctl][alt] to F3 and got to a bash prompt on the
thin client.  This did NOT show the normal login and dumped me into the filesystem "/".
 'whoami' says I am root. I have trouble with this as it is a BIG security problem.
Sure, I can fix that by not setting SCREEN_?? in the lts.conf, but what if I forget?  I
guess that it would only affect the filesystem on the client, but ssh IS available (
yes, have a good password AND not on the usual port ) so some nefarious no gooder could
possibly bang at the server. Oh, and yes I could ssh to the server and login; didn't ask
me the usual 'accept' question though.

Next, there are no errors in Xorg.1.log but boot.log was another matter:
Mounting local filesystems: FAILED
Starting NFS statd:         FAILED
Setting NIS domain: not found FAILED

the local filesystem failure is probably moot, but I don't know about the other two.

bash-4.1# [startx] dies - module mach64 not found - so ima gonna go and figure out where
that is!

It will work ....someday.... sigh!

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:43:03 -0500, Steve wrote
--
Todd Hackett             Chief Bottle Washer
PoBox 1168