[K12OSN] Login does not ... um ... login

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 15 15:47:24 UTC 2013

I missed your first post, but I am assuming that what happens is that
you get the login prompt on the TC, type in your userid and password,
and get kicked back to the login prompt.

I should preface this by saying that this was the solution with LTSP 5.2.4.5.
I am currently using 5.2.17-el6, which I installed over a year ago, and I
don't remember if it also had this problem. With LTSP, once I get it to
work, I try very hard not to monkey with it!

This was the problem:

1. ltsp fails to read /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf from the host when
the thin client
boots. The only way to fix this problem is to copy the lts.conf file to
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf on the host. If you are using NBD, each time this
file is changed, you need to rerun ltsp-update-image.

2. The reason this is a problem is that the ldm client on the TC seems to
be missing important environment variables. At the very least, we need to
include in lts.conf a line reading

   LDM_XSESSION=gnome-session

or whatever your desired session is.

--