[K12OSN] Trouble with PXE Boot; Fedora 17

Adrin Gharakhani adrin at applied-scientific.com
Wed Jan 30 06:15:25 UTC 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Burke Almquist wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:55 PM, Adrin Gharakhani wrote:
>
>> If by EL (RHEL, CentOS or SL)
>

>> you mean RHEL, then it's just too expensive for me (a one-person operation). If you mean SL (scientific linux), then last I checked it runs a much older version of gcc than I can accept. Fedora always keeps up with the latest and greatest. This is really ironic - a "scientific" OS falls way behind wrt compiler updates. Also, the upgrades are not frequent enough (based on what little I know about it), so even if a newer version becomes available today, I'd have to wait much longer for the next update. Finally, I am by NO means even at the entry level when it comes to OS stuff - I really just want to focus on my work using something I feel very comfortable with by now (because of the regular updates and improvements)
> Ahh, so you have something that needs a newer version of GCC. Makes sense. does CentOS 6.3 have it by chance?

Nope, centos is generally worse!!!  (older versions of gcc have bugs for what I need, and the newer ones have the much more advanced capabilities that I can utilize)

I'm now tempted to take one of two routes:

(1) say goodbye to LTSP and try DRBL, which apparently has at least an unstable version for F17

(2) just put a full i386 on a USB stick, pxe boot the zero client off this stick, and use NX server/client to connect it to my workstation.  I was told earlier (or read somewhere) that LTSP would be faster than NX on a LAN, but in my case "fast" is meaningless :)

If you do get a chance to play with F17 and find out what the problem and the fixes are, I'd truly appreciate it