[K12OSN] local device

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Jul 30 16:04:05 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 09:26 AM, Radek Bursztynowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My thin client machine has local DVD, but I can't see any icon or
> mounted point after log into the client.
> I tried use several  option as follow:
>
>     LOCALDEV                   = True
>     HOTPLUG                     = True
>     LOCAL_STORAGE        = True
>
> and
>
>     LOCAL_DEVICE_01             = /dev/sr0:cdrom
>
> Still nothing.
> What interesting?: when I move to xterm (Ctrl+Fx) on thin client, I can
> mount DVD device and read it contents (mount /dev/sr0 /mnt).

Unfortunately I can't solve your problem but hopefully I can clarify
your understanding of what is going on a bit.  When you press
CTRL-ALT-Fx and get a text console it is important to note that this is
_not_ an xterm.  It is a local console on your _client_ where the DVD
drive is installed, which is why you can see it there.

Conversely, your X desktop is running on the _server_ but is displaying
on your _client_.  Since the DVD drive is not attached to the _server_
you cannot see it there, where the xterm is running.

Depending on what you want to do with the DVD you can may be able to
install a localapp and run that to access the DVD.

Jeff