[K12OSN] Few observations with ltsp-server 5.9 | Where I can find old ltsp-server 5.1 repository

Radek Bursztynowski radek at bursztynowski.waw.pl
Tue Jun 25 09:00:24 UTC 2013

Baryy,

Thanks a lot for you answer.
All my computers in the network have 1 Gb/s NICs. I tested (LTSP 5.1) old machines (Pentium III, AMD K 6 III) equipped with 100 Mb/s too. My feeling with 100 Mb/s NICs (still LTSP 5.1) are quite fine. If one or two machines (thin clients with 100 Mb/s NIcs) runs and plays movies, movies are acceptable. If several thin client with NIC 100 Mb/s runs and don't play movies - everything is OK. More thins clients with 100 Mb/s I didn't test. I forgot to say that all my network is equipped with 1 Gb/s switches.

I didn't have any problems with my LTSP clients and network (still LTSP 5.1), including old thin client (AMD K6 III 400 MHz and 256 MB of memory, Pentium III 1000 MHz and 512 MB of memory and 1 Gb/s NICs). My view about theses old thin clients is that movies (1 Gb/s NIC) in Linux environment play movies fine. Worse is with Windows 7 environment (rdesktop or xfreerd). Then movies play little slowly, but the same situation is with more modern thin client. The same situation with Windows 7 is when I use rdesktop or xfreerdp with no LTSP environment - so it is no LTSP problem.

Trucking this way I replaced LTSP 5.1 with latest LTSP K12 and my view I mentioned in previous may post.

Let me add that my server is quite loaded by different services. This machine is 2core Pentium and one NIC 1Gb/s (bridge) and supports 3 virtual machines (KVM) not high loaded. I know that I have few memory (8 GB of memory), but with LTSP 5.1 everything was OK. I monitor usage of two cores and their average utilization - is between 10 - 20% (standard), with very rare picks. This server is my test environment. Next week I will return to my standard environment (modern processors, more memory, two NICs 1 Gb/s in every server) but today I fight with test environment.

Today night I reinstalled my test environment equipped with two NICs. So I am going to return with new post and with new view.

Thanks again for any answer - I will be satisfied with every.

Best regards,
Radek

----

Radoslaw,

I believe all of the "old" K12Linux repos mirrors are out of commission.
I still have a couple servers that are running the 5.1 ltsp server
myself.

Something to consider in your situation/problem. Are you running a gigE
lan with a gigE lan nic in your server? This is pretty much a must at
this stage of ltsp. We used to  run only 100mb lan/switches back in the
day of 2.4 kernel ltsp and worked fine.For whatever behind the scenes
stuff thrown into the kernel these days,a gigE backbone is a must.

For kicks i run one client in a test bed on an old 10 base-t HUB. You
wouldn't believe how long it took the one client to boot up!

If you do not have a gigE switched lan you should at least get this
up,and quite possibly your pentium machines will have enough "feed
speed" to work reliably.

BTW. The first versions of k12ltsp we used several 'dumpster' 486
machines and they did work quite well for that day and age :)

Take Care,
Barry