[K12OSN] client booting linux stalls

Johan Vermeulen jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be
Tue Jun 4 10:23:01 UTC 2013

Dear All,

this is my experience with the install :

version is ltsp-server-5.4.5-20.el6.x86_64 on Centos6.4.
installed with epel-repo.

After starting nfs manualy like Barry and starting tftp manualy, I am
able to boot a thinclient.

But I'm facing these problems :

*ltsp-server-tweaks hangs on " about to overwrite your firewall config"
either with iptables on or off.
Probably because of that, laptops and workstations that are on the lan
cannot reach the internet. This is my main concern.
Setting up nat manualy did not help.

this is /etc/sysconfig/iptables :

# Firewall configuration written by system-config-firewall
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
-A POSTROUTING -o eth+ -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -o em2 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth+ -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i em2 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i eth+ -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i em2 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -o eth+ -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -o em2 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT

*ltsp-server-initialize gives me a lot of EM. But the thinclient boots,
so maybe that's not a problem.

*when booting the thinclient, I get an EM : unsupported device :
processor centaurhauls
   The thinclient is an HP hstnc-004 that I used on 3 different
thinclient systems in the past 3 years.
   It would be a real problem if it doesn't work with this image.

*when booted, I am able to log in, and adapt language and other settings
in lts.conf. But I can't get rid of the green glare that is over the
screen.
Could be the Acer monitor, but it's fine when attached to other devices.

Any input on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

greetings, J.