[K12OSN] OT apache troubleshoot

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Mar 16 11:31:08 UTC 2013

Hello All,

# off topic

FYI. I did search the Apache forums and couldn't really find a definite
solution.

On my home CentOS 6.x / K12Linux server I do run Apache server with
about 6 sites running for various people I know that they maintain
simply as a hobby type thing for themselves. I run Joomla as the CMS for
convenience which has worked very well since the get-go.

Problem:
Without having done any updates to the server for sometime and no
monkeying around with configuration files on the Apache part anyway.
Some times now when running top I seen many instances of http in the mix
and each process about 25% memory,,,which of course does make the server
itself get eventually slow.

This is about an 4 month old brand new medium grade hardware,but nothing
'enterprise grade" FWIW.

In the past I always did see about 10-12 instances of httpd running when
I run ' ps aux|grep httpd' but never have seen 6-8 instances running
when I run top.
I guess due to the fact I have never seen this in top before,(and
consequently the server getting somewhat slow),I have never really
looked into this or have read up any on the http 'forking process'.

If I simply shut off the httpd service for 10 mins then restart
later,,these of course disappear. I am not sure what to think in regards
to troubleshooting and tracing what causes this behaviour. All 6
websites have run (on my previous server hardware) and I never did have
this happen.
Sorry for the long post

Thank You,
Barry