[K12OSN] Problems shutting down cllients

Peter Onion peter.onion at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 24 12:36:50 UTC 2013

I've build clients on a Centos 6.4 platform and after some "tweaks" they are working, but they won't shut down properly.

This is cause by the "stop" sections in network,nfs and nstfs scritps in /etc/init.d all failing to identify that the root file system is mounted over the network.
stopping eth0, nfs or trying to umnount everything  has predictable results in this case !

And the halt script has a go as well when it kills the unionfs user space process and then everything stops !

Also "out of the box" /etc/mtab ends up as an empty file which I don't think is correct.

I've got the clients to shutdown or reboot properly by adding "exit 1" at the beginning  of the "stop" sections in the abve mentioned scripts.

Is there a better/correct solution to this ?

PeterO