[K12OSN] TC wifi initializtion - concept

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Apr 8 02:54:30 UTC 2014

No way in heck I would want TC's on wireless.  It's a hub.  X11 screen
updates can suck up to 73 Mbit/sec when playing TuxType (I did this
measurement about 10 years ago and re-confirmed it about 5 years ago).
As much as the wireless hype may be going on now, there's just no way an
LTSP architecture can be successful on a hub, be that hub wireless or
wired.  Well, not if you intend to use the full complement of
educational apps, that is.  And don't even *think* about anything that
uses Flash, for the same reason.

LibreOffice'll work OK.  So will Gedit or even Firefox, provided there
aren't a lot of screen updates.  But relatively static (as far as screen
updates go) apps like that are about it.  Putting LTSP on wireless is a
recipe for failure, given current wireless technology.

--TP