[K12OSN] TC wifi initializtion - concept

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Apr 8 14:43:09 UTC 2014

On 04/07/2014 10:54 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> No way in heck I would want TC's on wireless.  It's a hub.  X11 screen
> updates can suck up to 73 Mbit/sec when playing TuxType (I did this
> measurement about 10 years ago and re-confirmed it about 5 years ago).
> As much as the wireless hype may be going on now, there's just no way an
> LTSP architecture can be successful on a hub, be that hub wireless or
> wired.  Well, not if you intend to use the full complement of
> educational apps, that is.  And don't even *think* about anything that
> uses Flash, for the same reason.
>
> LibreOffice'll work OK.  So will Gedit or even Firefox, provided there
> aren't a lot of screen updates.  But relatively static (as far as screen
> updates go) apps like that are about it.  Putting LTSP on wireless is a
> recipe for failure, given current wireless technology.

I agree.

Wireless is just not cut out for _general_ LTSP use.  You might find
some limited success for things like kiosks running everything as a
localapp but the use cases are relatively niche.

I have moved most of my clients to switched wired 1000 Mbps connections
because even dedicated 100 M connections were too slow for some things.
  Also keep in mind that the apps that use a ton of bandwidth might not
be obvious.  LibreOffice Impress was one of the applications that was
frequently unusable at 100 Mbps.

Jeff