[K12OSN] TC wifi initializtion - concept

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:52:53 UTC 2014

Anything that uses the SDL toolkit for graphics is barely usable at 100Mbps
and less than 1GHz on the client cpu. Tuxmath is barely usable with a 1Gbps
network and a 1.5GHz client cpu.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:

> On 04/07/2014 10:54 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
>
>> No way in heck I would want TC's on wireless.  It's a hub.  X11 screen
>> updates can suck up to 73 Mbit/sec when playing TuxType (I did this
>> measurement about 10 years ago and re-confirmed it about 5 years ago).
>> As much as the wireless hype may be going on now, there's just no way an
>> LTSP architecture can be successful on a hub, be that hub wireless or
>> wired.  Well, not if you intend to use the full complement of
>> educational apps, that is.  And don't even *think* about anything that
>> uses Flash, for the same reason.
>>
>> LibreOffice'll work OK.  So will Gedit or even Firefox, provided there
>> aren't a lot of screen updates.  But relatively static (as far as screen
>> updates go) apps like that are about it.  Putting LTSP on wireless is a
>> recipe for failure, given current wireless technology.
>>

> I agree.
>
> Wireless is just not cut out for _general_ LTSP use.  You might find some
> limited success for things like kiosks running everything as a localapp but
> the use cases are relatively niche.
>
> I have moved most of my clients to switched wired 1000 Mbps connections
> because even dedicated 100 M connections were too slow for some things.
>  Also keep in mind that the apps that use a ton of bandwidth might not be
> obvious.  LibreOffice Impress was one of the applications that was
> frequently unusable at 100 Mbps.
>
> Jeff

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*