[K12OSN] HP T5740 boot panic

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Fri Apr 18 14:52:08 UTC 2014

Hello All,

Just purchased a new HP T5740 TC to test with,to use with about a one
year old install of (LTSP 6.0 SL client).

The unit kernel panics at boot,so I updated the bios to the latest
available bios from HP, with fingers crossed hoping possibly the later
bios would remedy the boot panic.Of course this didn't change the
situation.

After doing some searching it appears the Broadcom nic in these units is
the snag on the boot process.
I have seen several workarounds to get these units to boot,mostly being
building an Ubuntu boot image to drop into the tftp dir on the server.

We have had several of the HP T5730's that would boot up fine out of the
box.

Anyone tried the HP T5740  Atom 1.6 ghz ,Intel i915 video,broadcom
nic,atheros wireless.?

Thank You,
Barry