[K12OSN] usb flash drive hot plug issue

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Sat Aug 23 17:46:54 UTC 2014

Facing an odd problem with using usb flash drives on our TCs.

Situation: If the user is not logged in, and the drive is inserted, it
appears just fine on the desktop once the user logs in. If user is
logged in, drive does not appear on the desktop.

Root does not have this issue. (I know, NEVER log into a graphic session
as root. I also run with scissors around wet swimming pools during
electrical storms.)

Running on 32 bit EL6.5 (Scientific) but clients running Debian 32 bit
image. (HP Thin Client that doesn't play well with EL because of NIC
driver issues)

User is in fuse group. LOCALDEV=True. Went all through the steps on
Ubuntu localdev debug page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebugLocalDev

I know that either a) I'm doing something silly or b) something,
somewhere in my duck-taped set up isn't playing nice.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
William