[K12OSN] Thin Client Hardware for k12ltsp

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Feb 24 18:18:18 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 07:33 AM, Joe Fagliarone wrote:
> Hello all.  This is my first post here.  I have enjoyed reading (and
> learning) all the other posts.  Great information.
>
> I have a centos 6.3 and k12 ltsp environment.
>
> I currently have thin clients that are old (almost 10 years) and are in
> need of replacement.  Parts are breaking due to age and are harder to
> come by. I have been getting parts on amazon and other sites.
>
> However I wanted to hear what kind of hardware are you using for your
> thin clients.
>
> WYSE
> HP
> Self-configured thin clients.

Self configured for me.  I could never find any off the shelf clients
that had everything I wanted at a reasonable price.

By far my favorite all-around client has been the D945GSEJT with Morex
T1610 case:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Intel_D945GSEJT_with_Morex_T1610

Thin, fanless, easy to assemble, reliable, well supported.  The only
thing wrong with them is the GPU which really can't do anything accelerated.

For boxes where I needed proper 3D support I went with a Zotac IONITX board.

Sadly the D945GSEJT is now EOS and the Intel replacements I last looked
into (granted a while ago) all had issues with Linux GPU drivers.

Something like this may still be a viable option though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173032

However, it lacks the fanless aspect and is significantly more power hungry.

Jeff