[K12OSN] id-card reader on K12Linux

johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be
Sat Feb 1 11:37:00 UTC 2014

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: "Jeff Siddall" <news at siddall.name>
Aan: k12osn at redhat.com
Verzonden: Zaterdag 25 januari 2014 17:02:52
Onderwerp: Re: [K12OSN] id-card reader on K12Linux

On 01/24/2014 10:01 AM, johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be wrote:
> dear All,
>
> I'm trying to connect an id-card reader to a thinclient.
>
> To make this work, I have Firefox and the id-card reader program running
> as local apps.
>
> But the usb-cardreader is not seen by the thinclient. I tried two types
> of thinclient, one with and one without a hard drive.

What do you mean "is not seen"?  When you connect to the local console
of the client and tail /var/log/messages you should see something about
a USB device being disconnected/reconnected?  If you do then it is being
"seen".  After that you need to make sure the chroot kernel and all
supporting packages required by the reader are present _on the chroot_.

> In lts.conf I have added localapps=True, the user is added to fuse
> group, so he can use usb's.

I assume you added the user to the fuse group on the server?  If so then
this won't affect the client directly but it's not likely an issue
either way.

Keep in mind that with respect to the USB id reader nothing configured
on the server matters, only the chroot.

Jeff

Hello Jef,

thanks for the reaction.

The user is added to the chroot.

I mean the card reader is not mounted under /media as a usb-device would.

I don't know how to connect to the local console of the client.

I have two types of thinclients, one Hp device with a hard drive and Linux on it, one being just a motherboard, no hard drive.

Greetings, J.