Re: [K12OSN] networking question

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM, William Fragakis <william fragakis com> wrote:
Our k12linux installation is out-growing our present, very primitive,
networking structure.

Currently, our ltsp server - which also behaves as the firewall for a
number of kvm servers and their vms - connects to 16 or so thin clients.
Between the clients, internal servers and printers, the switch to which
the ltsp server is connected to is at capacity (It's a basic 24 port
gigabit).

We now need to add the n+1 client that exceeds switch capacity. Do we
buy
a) a larger switch to replace the current one
b) a second switch daisy chained to the current one
c) a second switch connected to a second NIC using the same internal
ip/dhcp range (and if so, the recommended manner)
d) a more obvious, elegant, simple, cheaper method that I haven't
considered because I don't know squat (American slang for "not much")
about this stuff.

If the printers or VM's do not need dedicated gigabit connectivity to the network, and it is geographically possible, then you could subgroup these devices with a smaller, less expensive switch thus freeing ports on your 24-port switch. If all devices need dedicated gigabit connectivity, then you can add a second NIC to the server and either a. expand nfs/dhcp/tftp ranges (complicated) or b. bond the NICs (less complicated) and add a second gigabit switch for future expansion.

For network hygiene, I'd ponder re-purposing a box, installing pfsense, and letting it become your firewall/gateway/dansguardian/squidguard box.

--scott