[K12OSN] networking question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:04:01 UTC 2014

my ordering for solution:

1) bigger switch (big assumption is existing network is not overloaded now)
2) add a secondary "smart" switch above the existing switch if the existing
switch supports "upstream" port
3) add a second switch downstream with a bonded or aggregate connection for
more bandwidth (if "smart" primary switch)
4) add a secondary switch with Gbit upstream and 100M ports and set primary
switch to 100M except for new switch port
5) add a secondary switch upstream with bonded/aggregate connections to
multiple nics on server
6) add a second switch off second nic on separate subnet and split the
load. This requires a split subnet with dual gateways (each nic) (no smart
switch required)

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>wrote:

> Our k12linux installation is out-growing our present, very primitive,
> networking structure.
>
> Currently, our ltsp server - which also behaves as the firewall for a
> number of kvm servers and their vms - connects to 16 or so thin clients.
> Between the clients, internal servers and printers, the switch to which
> the ltsp server is connected to is at capacity (It's a basic 24 port
> gigabit).
>
> We now need to add the n+1 client that exceeds switch capacity. Do we
> buy
> a) a larger switch to replace the current one
> b) a second switch daisy chained to the current one
> c) a second switch connected to a second NIC using the same internal
> ip/dhcp range (and if so, the recommended manner)
> d) a more obvious, elegant, simple, cheaper method that I haven't
> considered because I don't know squat (American slang for "not much")
> about this stuff.
>
> thanks to all,
> William Fragakis

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*