[K12OSN] networking question

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Feb 19 15:03:25 UTC 2014

Jim,
(btw, hope all is well) big thanks to both you and Scott for your
exhaustive answers.

We seem to be doing okay on the bandwidth internally, nothing is hanging
or lagging even with a few clients playing Pandora and a bunch of
internal rdesktop sessions. I think I'll downstream lower bandwidth
devices like printers, secondary vms, etc to a second inexpensive
switch.

Off topic  - heard on NPR how Los Angeles schools thought it would be a
good idea to get each student an iPad at about $700/device so they could
"all have computers". That was about the price of my latest kvm server
with an AMD 8 core CPU, 24GB RAM and 240GB  SSDs in a RAID 1. Not to
mention the iPads are getting broken/stolen which makes the whole
process even more expensive. Not that we don't have iPads in our own
househould. Just that LTSP continues to make a ton of sense.

again, my thanks and best regards to all,
William Fragakis