Re: [K12OSN] networking question

I heard that story too and thought of Cobb county schools' aborted "Give 'em all a MAC" debacle.

Given the poor fiscal support of schools in general, LTSP (and a next gen thing I'm still poking at) are the most cost effective ways to put students in front of computers for any reason.

Next Gen Thing: server(s) runs Ovirt and many generic VMs. Student uses wireless android pad/laptop and connects using spice to get full desktop with sound and video.

Memory usage is similar using memory ballooning (shared, read-only memory) as all VMs are identical. Drive space is similar (only /home is different for each) and it works over wireless and from home. Big advantage is 3-fold A) GUI for admin of VM environment (and user authentication using freeIPA has gui as well) B) better stability and security - student can only crash their VM, not the classroom or half the school. C) can use BYOD (mostly) as there is a spice client for windows, Linux, Mac and Android.

I've found cheap android laptops for $100. tiny screen and keyboard but good size for little hands. Can still use this stuff for stand-alone machine lab setup by mounting /home from nfsv4 server. Good for video work. Most stuff needs minimal horsepower. Bigger kids can get bigger android laptops for $170. If schools could figure out how to use freetextbooks, the backpack load for the kids drops to 3-5 lbs. down from 20-40 lbs.

Flash is still a hog. Wish it would go the way of the dodo bird.

Wouldn't is be cool for kids to be able to say they use a supercomputer every day at school? !!!