[K12OSN] Thin Client Hardware for k12ltsp

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Feb 26 15:46:02 UTC 2014

We've recently found a number of off-lease and refurb i686 hp clients
(as opposed to the earlier Cyrix, etc. which require an i386 boot
image). These are primarily the t5730/35 and t5740/45 with Sempron and
Atom processors respectively. The 5740 doesn't play well with EL 6.4 and
earlier so you may need to create a boot image like we did from Debian.

A number of these units have embedded WinXP so as XP sunsets this year,
you may see more of them appearing.

If you buy lots on ebay, you can get them from anywhere from $25-60 per
unit shipped. Just make sure they include power supplies. The 574x run
more because of the Atom cpu but both models tend to come with 1-2gb RAM
often with stands and even keyboards and mice. The 573x are also a touch
larger.

Refurb desktops aren't much more and readily available, too, but use
more space and power.

Regards,
William
- sent from my t5740 running K12Linux