[K12OSN] Is K12Linux el6 actively maintained?

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Thu Jan 16 15:55:46 UTC 2014

To add what Radek said very well, LTSP on EL platforms (we use
Scientific Linux) is very "production ready" in that it works, is very
stable and using an EL release allows us to use the same basic platform
for both LTSP and KVM (virtual machine) servers that are up for months
at a time.

I used to use the old K12 distributions based on Fedora but Fedora's
short lifespans and a period from F15-18 that weren't LTSP friendly made
it hard to maintain in an office environment that has to be up year
round. In an academic environment where you have summer or vacation
breaks to tune and update your software, that's not as big an issue.

As well, there were some pretty big (good) changes back in the day in
succeeding versions of Fedora and how it played with LTSP (eg
pulseaudio) that had us looking forward to new versions.

LTSP continues to be very effective for us after more than six years of
use not only in cost savings but in reliability and flexibility.

Best regards,
William