[K12OSN] some questions? maybe st00pid, but need asked

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 18:37:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM, me <me at todhackett.com> wrote:

> I am confused.  Server is f14 loaded a couple of days ago.
>
> We go through all of the process of loading pxelinux.0 from our tftpboot
> (/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386 )directory which is f10, and then booting out
> of our chroot
> (  /opt/ltsp/i386 ).  So why does the f14 desktop come up vs the F10
> version that we
> have configured?

Sounds like the chroot is not being entered by the TCs. They are instead
being routed to the full OS of the server. That's a config issue in the
LTSP setup in the OS being sent to the TCs. Double check your pxe boot
process and make sure it really is what's being loaded.

> I have been having problems with touch screens on the TC's and found that
> I can drop to
> a shell ( ctrl/alt f2 ) during the TC boot and cat /dev/ttyS0 then
> touching the screen I
> get a response.  When it gets to the desktop ( f14 ) then I go into a
> shell, cat'n
> /dev/ttyS0 does nothing.

That /dev/ttyS0 is on the server not the TC. Basically, the touchscreen
serial port is not being sent back to the server like a mouse device. I
don't know if serial device data is supported. The serial mouse was dropped
from the kernel long before Fedora 9 days. I about cried as my wonderful
Kensington trackball was being discarded.

> I have read and re-read, searched and scratched and can't figure out what
> I am missing.
>  Guess that the brain cells are tooooo old.
>
> me
>
> --
> Todd Hackett             Chief Bottle Washer
> PoBox 1168
> Libby, MT 59923
> 406.291.6241

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*