[K12OSN] Thin Client Hardware for k12ltsp

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Mar 6 16:19:38 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 12:55 PM, William Fragakis wrote:
> Jim,
> Could one build an arm client image off of a present Fedora version?
>
> Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong, the base Pi board is $25-30, and then you
> need those little optional bits like case, power adapter, most likely
> hdmi to whatever your monitor is converter, etc. Kits I've seen put it
> around $65-70 for something you can plug in and power on.

Yes, definitely more than $25 when all is said and done.  For a thin
client you are probably better off with the extra RAM and onboard wired
Ethernet of the B model at $35.  Add to that a USB power supply ($5), a
case ($8) and a SD card ($7) and you are at $55.  Since all clients will
require a keyboard, mouse and monitor I have not included accessories in
the cost of the client itself.

If you consider shipping the Pi is also likely to save some money over
things like the nanopc given the local distributors.

Still, things like performance, sound, VGA, PXE, localapps etc. are all
missing from the ARM clients I have seen.

For about $65 more you can get an x86 client that can do all those things:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135368 ($62)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208056 ($35)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226018 ($23)

Of course more power, bigger, noisier etc.  It's all about tradeoffs.

Personally I run only x86 clients.

Jeff