[K12OSN] CentOS & LTSP being maintained

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 02:42:07 UTC 2015

On Mar 28, 2015 6:01 PM, "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've had issues with x2go and cursor movement in terminals sessions.
I've
> > not tested if soubd and local usb will work. They do with the spice
client.
> > I was rather shocked demo'ing a spice setup through 2 vpn connection
back to
> > a win7 vm to hear sound events locally! A youtube video played
flawlessly
> > from that setup as well.
> >

> Doesn't that require a KMV guest per connection with spice emulating
> the console?   How does that scale?

Yes it does. With cloned vm and memory ballooning it's no more disk  little
more ram use than ltsp and can scale across multiple servers. It also
totally isolates each user vm from others. So a fork bomb only crashes one
vm and not all thin clients. Middle school found out how to do that. Fixing
it in ltsp was a challenge. In vm, it's only their problem.

Or have you done it in a
> multiuser X environment too?

Used ltsp in Atlanta for 7 school build out of 2000 clients on 33 servers
in 2006-2007. That hard coded clients to a server. It that server was down,
all computer use stopped. With the ovirt process, the VMs can run on a
different server automatically until the down server is restored and
clients migrated live.

Also, how long ago were the x2o
> problems?

X2go issues are current.