[K12OSN] New install of K12LTSP - repo not found

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 20 21:49:55 UTC 2016

It has been clear for some time now that LTSP is dead. There is no interest
in supporting it and keeping it current.

I can strongly recommend Thinlinc from http://www.cendio.com. Although this is a commercial
package, the free download allows up to 10 concurrent sessions at a time. You do
have to sign up to get the download, but it is free under these terms. The desktop
client is freely available with no restrictions.

    * Thinlinc is very polished. It functions very well to deliver a complete desktop originating from a remote server
    * Server works out of the box on all Linux distributions I have tried (RHEL 6&7, Scientific Linux 6, Debian, Fedora 22)
    * There are clients for Linux, Mac and Windows. All work well
    * Sound works right out of the box
    * Thinlinc does a great job of streaming multimedia
    * persistant sessions when you disconnect and reconnect
    * automatic resizing of the screen when you switch to a different computer
    * Web-based client for server-end configuration
    * traffic between client and server is encrypted
    * Thinlinc is actively developed by Cendio, and they have good support, including an active discussion group.

I can't count the number of hours I wasted wrestling with LTSP to try to get it to work. The documentation was never up
to date with the software. Thinlinc has been almost completely painless.

For personal use, I have the Thinlinc server running on my Linux machine at home,
and on my lab servers at work. Our university also has a campus-wide license for the
server, which they run on RedHat 7. I use Thinlinc in all of the courses I teach. The client is
available on all campus computers, and if students want the client on their own computers,
they have no problems installing and running it. By installing one client on their
comuter, they have access to hundreds of system-wide applications.

I can't speak to what it costs if you need more than 10 concurrent sessions.